Friday 19 October 2012

Still recovering from surgery

Well, I had my LPAO on June 25th and, unfortunately I'm still on crutches almost 5 months later.
My pelvis currently looks like this;






So, as I'm sure you can imagine, I haven't exactly been training (or doing much of anything). It was a pretty full on surgery, I spent 10 days in hospital, had 2 blood transfusions and was transported home via ambulance.
Unfortunately, although I am definitely making gains, it appears that my bone growth may be slower than normal (what's known as "delayed bone union") which is why I am still stuck on 2 crutches so long after the procedure. I am back for another x-ray and visit with the orthopedic clinic at St Vincent's on the 19th of November and I am really hoping to be given the all clear to move to one crutch or even a cane. But I definitely won't be going back to house painting this year... if ever, as I need a few more surgeries on my pelvis an climbing ladders doesn't exactly go with all of that.

It's been hard, no doubt about it. I went into the surgery feeling so positive and was pretty upbeat for the first couple of months post surgery, but as time goes on and I lose weight and can't work, as I get poorer and find myself in constant, low-grade-but-always-present pain it is hard to keep my chin up.

But, at the end of the day it is what it is and I need to accept that- but goddamn, do I miss training ;_;

When I have more to update I will do so. I am planning on going to the gym next week- I figure that I can at least do upper weight training as I am fully weigh bearing, I'll just have to be careful not to whack people with my crutches or do any squats haha, so I'll let you know how that goes.

In the meantime, I am seeing my Dr on Tuesday to try and manage my pain more effectively- the methadone has killed my appetite and has also made me quite prone to aggression, neither of which are good for me (or my daughter). I need to eat to grow bone and being shitty 24/7 is only likely to trigger depression or some sort of relapse into unhealthy coping behaviour/s. So fingers crossed he will approach things from less of a "recovered addict" aspect and more of a "genuinely in need of pain management, let's deal with weaning you off obviously required narcotics when your bone has regrown and those screws are out" aspect. One can always hope ;)

Stay strong,
Skram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love to read people's feedback, questions or general observations so please don't be shy, comments are always welcome :)