Sunday 8 April 2012

Here we go again...

So, I'm blogging again. I love my livejournal blog but I kinda want to keep that life separate from this one, for now anyway.
This blog is more about my journey back into fitness, exploring crossfit and paleo and documenting my upcoming surgery.
I'm not sure how long I will be able to attend crossfit at this point in time as I am scheduled to undergo a  PAO or Peri Acetabular Osteotomy. 
Unfortunately, in part because of my age, my surgeon is expecting me to be on crutches for around 12 weeks, using a cane for a further 2-3 months and not being up to training or working for anywhere between 8 to 12 months! I am a house painter by trade so carrying ladders, climbing up and down ladders, squatting, lugging around tins of paint and so on are obviously going to put a lot of stress on the hip socket so I suppose that is part of the reason he has forewarned me that I might be unable to go back to work for such an extending period. I am hoping that I will be able to start some upper body exercises maybe 3 or 4 months post surgery, because sitting on my arse for the next 6 months will drive me crazier than I already am.
I reckon one of the cool things about the surgery is how mad the x-rays look;


Plus my femoral head is pretty wrecked so they might also do this;


Told you the x-rays look full on! Who needs a terminator when you have this much metal?

When I found out I needed the surgery I guess I got scared as I stopped training- I was really frightened of making things worse and ending up having to have a THR (total hip replacement) instead. And even though the PAO has a much longer recovery than a THR it's a better option in the long run as I won't have the sorts of physical restrictions placed on me that come with a THR.
Mind you, I have been told that my right hip (the one that actually gives me all the pain) may blow out due to the extra weight bearing it will have to do while my left hip recovers, and I have been warned that I will eventually need a THR on both sides, but if things go well I can postpone this for 5 or 10 years. But hey, at least I have these options under our public health system, so in that way I consider myself to be very lucky.

As to how this will effect my foray into the world of crossfit, well, I guess I won't be doing it for long, but I am hoping to get back into it as soon as I can post surgery and I'm aiming to go into this operation in as fit a state as I can manage over the next 4-6 weeks.

Tomorrow is my first full crossfit session and I assume I'm going to be feeling similar to how I did when I trained at PTC (power training centre) - the people there are very heavy lifters- Markos and his wife are full on, she uses a 90 kilo freaking kettle bell ffs!  When I trained there Markos snuck the weight up to 80 kilos during my deadlift set, which isn't huge but is a fair bit when you haven't been back into deadlifting for more than a few weeks ;) The next day I had to hold on to the shelves at the supermarket when I went to get letric salts... I was so bloody sore, I have never experienced DOMS like that before. So I'm kinda expecting a similar state post crossfit, at least at first.

Anyway, this is getting ridiculously long, so I'll end this for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love to read people's feedback, questions or general observations so please don't be shy, comments are always welcome :)